OpinionMeister

Monday, March 14, 2005

Condi Rules out 2008 Presidential Run

In a Washington Times report last week, Condi Rice said "I have never wanted to run for anything." Everybody appears to have jumped on that statement as "She did not close the door" or "She did not rule out." In response, the Associated Press reports that she has now made it more definitive. Link.
She closed the door in appearances on Sunday talk shows, telling NBC's "Meet the Press," "I will not run for president of the United States."

"I won't run," she told ABC's "This Week." "I won't. How's that? Is that categorical enough?"

I am a huge booster and admirer of Dr. Rice, but I had problems with the idea of her running for president in 2008. Not because I do not think she would make a good president; I do. However, electability is a problem. Can you name a single person who ever was elected president who had not previously held elective office, besides victorious generals? That is not necessarily a problem for the vice presidential slot, and I think she would make an excellent running mate to just about any Republican governor or ex-NYC mayor who wins the top slot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home